Workshops & Events
Core Strengthening with Tamara Breuer, LMT, NASM-CPT
Wednesdays, July 10, 17, 24, & 31, 2019 12pm-12:45pm
Having a strong and functional core is vital for healthy, pain-free movement. This class will lead you through different strengthening exercise for the core musculature, including some muscle groups that you may never have considered as part of the core, such as the diaphragm and the glutes.
This class is best suited for beginners and promotes a mindful, health-oriented focus. This is not a high-intensity class, but rather a self-paced routine focusing on proper form and movement. This class is ideal for beginners to exercise, new mothers, and people experiencing chronic lower back pain. As we are located within a wellness center, this setting may be less intimidating than a traditional gym environment.
Cost: $20 pre-registration, $25 for same-day registration (if space is available). The fee is non-refundable, but you may transfer your registration to another person. Tamara's classes fill fast, so don't wait!
About the Instructor: Tamara is a licensed massage therapist at The Well and a NASM-certified personal trainer at Fit360. An avid athlete, Tamara currently practices gymnastics, CrossFit, and yoga.
*FREE!* Postpartum Preparation Class with Metropolitan Doulas
Friday, July 12th, 2019 6:30pm-8pm - fills up fast, book in advance!
Upcoming Session: September, 20th
You may have a birth plan, but what about a postpartum plan? Join postpartum doula Betsy Quilligan to learn more about how to prepare for your little one's arrival. Betsy will share planning tools and worksheets so you come away from the workshop feeling ready for life with baby!
- Preparing for your baby's arrival: What are some things you can do during your pregnancy to make life easier once baby arrives?
- Planning for the early days and weeks: What will your days look like? What can you expect from your baby in terms of feeding and sleep?
- Creating a postpartum plan: What changes do you need to make to your home? How can you support other members of your household - human, canine, feline - in welcoming your new baby? What are best strategies for transitioning back to work?
- Postpartum depression and how to prevent it: What is the difference between postpartum depression, anxiety, and just plain baby blues? Are there ways to prevent it?
- Community resources and connections: Who will you call if you need assistance with breastfeeding, postpartum depression, newborn care, sleep coaching, etc.?
Comfort Measures in Labor with DCBirthDoulas
Sunday, July 14th, 2019 9am-12pm
Upcoming Sessions: August 11th, September 15th
A 3-hr practical hands-on workshop focusing on positions and techniques to find comfort and help labor progress. Great as a supplementary class to practice labor skills near the end of pregnancy or as a refresher course for repeat parents. The $99 fee includes pregnant person plus a support person.
Comprehensive Childbirth Class with DCBirthDoulas
Saturday, July 27th, 2019 10am-5pm
Upcoming Sessions: August 24th, September 28th
One-day express birth class! A convenient childbirth class for solo parents-to-be or couples who want to learn about birth and how to make the experience as positive, comfortable and memorable as possible. DCBirthDoulas bring years of experience and knowledge to provide you with up-to-date, evidence-based childbirth education with lots of hands-on learning.
- The curriculum covers normal physiological birth, common interventions and hospital procedures, comfort measures, labor positions, breathing/relaxation techniques, and pain medication options.
- The instructors create an interactive learning environment including videos of the stages and phases of labor, time to practice and explore comfort measures, massage and breathing techniques, group work, and games.
- You will learn to make informed decisions when the time comes by reviewing the benefits, risks, alternatives, and tips for using or avoiding possible interventions.
We encourage you to consider all your options! This workshop is a judgment-free learning environment for all pregnant people, their partners, family members and friends. You will not feel out of place whether you are considering using pain medication or are planning to birth without pain medication.
The Well @ Mt. Pleasant Farmers' Market
Every Saturday 9am-1pm (weather permitting) - see you in the fall!
Make self-care a regular part of your Saturday morning routine. We pitch our wellness tent at the north end of the market and offer donation-based chair massage and table massage. Come meet our talented practitioners, learn about our wellness services, de-stress with amazing bodywork, buy a gift certificate, or book an appointment for same-day service or for later in the week.
The Well is an inclusive practice where everybody and every body is celebrated and welcomed.