Workshops & Events
NEW! Mark your calendar for The Well's Labor Day Open House!
Monday, September 2 - All Day!
The Well and our partners offer a full range of support services and therapies from conception through the fourth trimester. Come by to learn more about Fertility Enhancing Massage, watch a Spinning Babies demonstration for optimal alignment in childbirth, bring your newborn for a free infant massage lesson, meet our perinatal massage therapists and ask questions of our in-house mental health team. Watch this space for more details and emerging schedule!
Comfort Measures in Labor with DCBirthDoulas
Sunday, August 11, 9am-12pm
Upcoming Sessions: Sept. 8, Oct. 13, Nov. 10 & Dec. 8
A 3-hr practical hands-on workshop focusing on positions & techniques to find comfort & help labor progress. Great as a supplementary class to practice labor skills near the end of pregnancy or as a refresher course for repeat parents. The $99 fee includes pregnant person plus a support person.
Core Strengthening with Tamara Breuer, LMT, NASM-CPT
Wednesdays, August 7, 14, 21, & 28 12pm-12:45pm
Having a strong and functional core is vital for healthy, pain-free movement. This class will lead you through different strengthening exercise for the core musculature, including some muscle groups that you may never have considered as part of the core, such as the diaphragm and the glutes.
This class is best suited for beginners and promotes a mindful, health-oriented focus. This is not a high-intensity class, but rather a self-paced routine focusing on proper form and movement. This class is ideal for those new to exercise, new mothers, and people experiencing chronic lower back pain.
Cost: $20 pre-registration, $25 for same-day registration (if space is available). The fee is non-refundable, but you may transfer your registration to another person. Tamara's classes fill fast, so don't wait!
Comprehensive Childbirth Class with DCBirthDoulas
Saturday, August 24, 10am-5pm
Upcoming Sessions: September 28, October 26, November 30
One-day express birth class! A convenient childbirth class for solo parents-to-be or couples who want to learn about birth & how to make the experience as positive, comfortable & memorable as possible. DCBirthDoulas bring years of experience & knowledge to provide you with up-to-date, evidence-based childbirth education with lots of hands-on learning.
- The curriculum covers normal physiological birth, common interventions & hospital procedures, comfort measures, labor positions, breathing/relaxation techniques, & pain medication options.
- The instructors create an interactive learning environment including videos of the stages & phases of labor, time to practice & explore comfort measures, massage & breathing techniques, group work, & games.
- You will learn to make informed decisions when the time comes by reviewing the benefits, risks, alternatives, & tips for using or avoiding possible interventions.
We encourage you to consider all your options! This workshop is a judgment-free learning environment for all pregnant people, their partners, family members, & friends. You will not feel out of place whether you are considering using pain medication or are planning to birth without pain medication.
*FREE!* Postpartum Preparation Class with Metropolitan Doulas
Friday, August 9th, 2019 6:30pm-8pm - fills up fast, book in advance!
Upcoming Session: September 20
You may have a birth plan, but what about a postpartum plan? Join postpartum doula Betsy Quilligan to learn more about how to prepare for your little one's arrival. Betsy will share planning tools & worksheets so you come away from the workshop feeling ready for life with baby!
- Preparing for your baby's arrival: What are some things you can do during your pregnancy to make life easier once baby arrives?
- Planning for the early days & weeks: What will your days look like? What can you expect from your baby in terms of feeding & sleep?
- Creating a postpartum plan: What changes do you need to make to your home? How can you support other members of your household - human, canine, feline - in welcoming your new baby? What are best strategies for transitioning back to work?
- Postpartum depression & how to prevent it: What is the difference between postpartum depression, anxiety, & just plain baby blues? Are there ways to prevent it?
- Community resources & connections: Who will you call if you need assistance with breastfeeding, postpartum depression, newborn care, sleep coaching, etc.?
Infant Massage Class (series) with Elizabeth Shrader, LMT, MPH
Fridays: September 6, 13 and 27 from 4:00 p.m. - 5:15 p.m.
In this 3-part series, parents and caregivers learn basic massage strokes and treatment protocols, infant anatomy and physiology, common pediatric conditions and developmental milestones, and how massage can help. Parents and caregivers also learn how positive and therapeutic touch enhances parenting skills for babyhood, through toddlerhood, childhood, adolescence and beyond. This is an amazing way to connect with your baby and gain confidence as a new parent.
Ayurvedic massage oil, instructional handouts, instructional videos and complimentary follow-up sessions included in the $125 registration fee. Current clients of The Well receive a 10% discount.
Watch this video to learn more about the benefits of infant massage!
The Well @ Mt. Pleasant Farmers' Market
Every Saturday 9am-1pm (weather permitting) - see you in the fall!
Make self-care a regular part of your Saturday morning routine. We pitch our wellness tent at the north end of the market and offer donation-based chair massage & table massage. Come meet our talented practitioners, learn about our wellness services, de-stress with amazing bodywork, buy a gift certificate, or book an appointment for same-day service or for later in the week.
The Well is an inclusive practice where everybody and every body is celebrated and welcomed.